While there was an abundance of social events promoting Indian music and dance, the theater had been sorely neglected. Driven by a desire to fill that void, a group of Tamil theater enthusiasts got together in 1993. The group fittingly called itself Stage Friends (USA) with the primary objective of offering quality Tamil plays to the Tamil community.
Since its humble inception, Stage Friends (USA) has staged 20 plays written by some of the prominent writers of Tamil Stage dramas. All the revenues from these stage ventures have been donated to worthy community causes in India and USA. Some of the organizations that have supported us by sponsoring our plays and benefited financially over the years include:
- New Jersey Tamil Sangam
- New York Tamil Sangam
- Philadelphia Tamil Sangam
- Boston Tamil Sangam
- New England Tamil Sangam
- Bharathi Society, NJ
- Ranganatha Temple, Pomona, NY
- Hindu Temple Society of North America, Flushing, New York
- Hindu American Temple community center, Marlboro, NJ
- V-Excel Educational Trust, Chennai, India
- Sindhanai Sirpigal, Tamil Nadu, India
- Thennangur Hospital, Tamil Nadu, India
- Tsunami Victims in Serudhur Village near Nagapattinam, Tamil Nadu,India
- Tamil speaking people affected in war.
- Governor Christie Sandy relief funds.
Our plays have been staged in Boston-MA,Queens-NY,New Jersey,Hartford-CT, Philadelphia,Houston,Delaware.
We are a non-profit organization that shall provide quality stage plays in Tamil and enthrall theater-loving audience in the North Eastern United States with a memorable evening of entertainment. We shall build partnerships with other non-profit organizations to raise funds for worthy humanitarian causes. We believe that entertainment should be meaningful and should carry thought-provoking messages to the public. Our mission is to keep Tamil theater alive in the changing environment.